The Evolution of Theo and Beau

by Jessica Shyba on April 16, 2014

in Lifestyle,Parenting,Pets,Theo and Beau

When Theo came home with us, he wasn’t afraid. I was so worried that he would feel completely displaced from his siblings and everything familiar to him, but I quickly realized that the journey he had already been through during his short 7 weeks of life was much more hectic than adjusting to our home would ever be. I don’t have any experience with shelter dogs, but Theo already seemed so much more adaptable than the puppies I had as a child, and even more mild tempered than any we had met up until then. He potty trained fairly quickly, he didn’t chew things up that he wasn’t supposed to, and he has always been incredibly tolerant of Beau’s pokes, tugs and bear hugs. I certainly wouldn’t know if that has to do with his early life, but Theo is without a doubt an incredibly loving, amazingly old soul.

IMG_1934

Theo and Beau’s relationship was immediate. The media craze came right as we were getting to know Theo and he was getting more comfortable with us. I got busier, the kids were just getting their feet wet in a new elementary school, and our lives were ramping up at an incredible pace.

Theo and Beau defied the chaos. They played and cuddled in perfect parallel and got to know each other in the most adorable way possible.

photo 2
photo 4
photo 3

It always seemed as though they saw beyond their species and regarded each other as playmates of the same feather, eventually evolving into a full blown brotherhood.

photo 5
photo 4
photo 2

I watched and casually observed and snapped photos, but I don’t think I was really understanding that Theo was filling a spot in our lives, specifically Beau’s life, that was anxiously waiting to be filled. He craved that companionship, as his older brother and sister have always had each other and that camaraderie.

This little pup has changed our lives in so many wonderful ways that it almost physically pains me to think about our life pre-Theo. He is truly magic.

photo 3
photo 5

Not much has changed since last fall, aside from their appearances.

untitled-1096

At nearly 7 months, Theo is just beginning to be a little unruly by testing his boundaries. Every so often he’ll quickly steal some of the kid’s food from wherever they’re eating, or hide under the bed chewing up something he knows he’s not supposed to. It’s almost as though he’s doing it out of sheer obligation and age, because his ultimate reaction is always guilt; His ears go back and he drops whatever he’s doing. It’s almost impossible to be frustrated with him, but we’re all working on new learning training tactics together and things are getting smoother.

If only I could manage the same with my two year old, who does things deliberately to cross any and all boundaries specifically for the reaction.

photo 1

They are still very much just enjoying their youth and companionship together.

untitled-1065

When I look at the early photos, it seems like it was nearly forever ago that we brought Theo home. Babies and puppies grow at a nearly heartbreaking rate though. I’m constantly reminded that we are still at the beginning of their relationship and our story now that Theo is in it is changing all the time in the best ways.

I guess this has been the biggest surprise for me personally, over everything that has happened over the last few months. I never thought that the process of rescuing and raising a puppy would be this wonderful, and this influential on my children’s lives. Theo continues to teach us all about love, patience and compassion and it’s taking everything I have not to run out and adopt them all.

2014-03-13_1394737919

They’re still napping together, too. My daily dose of reflection and zen.

Johanna April 17, 2014 at 11:28 am

I absoloutely love the story and photos you share of Theo and Beau! Watching the progression of not only the physical aspects, but the emotional as well, is just amazing!

Like you, it takes a lot, for me to not to try and adopt all the homeless dogs out there. But you are doing your part in raising awareness! For that, I am so very thankful! Keep up the beautiful photos and writings! Thank you for sharing your world with us.

Cheers!

Jennifer April 17, 2014 at 1:15 pm

We rescued Buck at 7 months.

Now he is going through a phase where he is aggressive towards certain dogs. He is wonderful with people and kids though. This recent adolescent dog thing has been a challenge. (He’s about 1 ½ now).

We hired a trainer once a week and I’m working extensively to resocialize him. He used to love playing with other dogs and one day it flipped.

Thanks so the sweet updates.

Jen

susan April 17, 2014 at 2:21 pm

thank you for the beautiful pictures and updates. they really do brighten my day – every day! the whole office looks forward to them now. i’m very happy for you that you’ve achieved a level of success through this beautiful story, that fulfills you personally and enriches so many lives.

Kat April 17, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Stop making me cry!

Marcy April 17, 2014 at 4:50 pm

❤️Their story.. Thanks for sharing it

J April 17, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Goodness, this post was beautiful! Thank you!

Kelly {the Centsible Life} April 17, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Such a lovely way to look back at what has surely been a crazy and chaotic time in life. Finding the peace and calm in their relationship is something that comes through in your photos and words.

Now that we have our own puppy at home I know exactly how you feel. I’m so grateful to have our puppy fill a space in our family that none of us knew we needed.

Nadine April 17, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Perfect post, just perfect.

Patchi Cancado April 17, 2014 at 7:50 pm

This is so sweet. I love all the photos of those two! Adorable.

Sunny Smith April 17, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I absolutely love your photos of this amazing friendship. It’s truly fabulous to see the connection between Theo and Beau…..it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen. It warms my heart every single day and there’s always lots of “awwww”s when I see your pictures. Thank you Jessica for sharing with us all.

Elaine A. April 17, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I just cannot stop thinking of the beauty of it all as I read your words. The photos are amazing but the relationship, well that’s even MORE so! Thank you so much for sharing them with all of us. :)

Christine April 17, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Oh, our furbabies. You hit the nail on the head with this one. Great post.

Kristin April 17, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Thank you, thank you for opening this precious private door to your
Wonderful life. I have seen that magic kinda love these two share only
A handful of times in my life. I find it such a privilege to have a ticket to the beauty that is their show.

Jae April 17, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I look fwd to viewing their daily pics….but ths story has jus put it all together. I absolutely loved reading. I look fwd to watchn those 2 grow together. :)

Michele April 17, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Awesome blog today! As always thanks for sharing. Loving the pictures!

Janine April 17, 2014 at 8:08 pm

love love love this journey. can’t wait to watch it continue to unfold. thank you!

Jaimee H April 17, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Please tell me there is a future book in the works of your photos and words. I found you when the Theo and Beau frenzy started traveling social media…but now that I found you on IG, your photos are our daily zen as well. What a sweet relationship they have that you will cherish forever. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Diane April 17, 2014 at 8:16 pm

LOVE the bond they share, you are right it is truly magical! We adopted a dog( Romeo) who was tied to a trailer for his first 3 years of his life, I took him in simply because I could not bear to let him continue his life as it was, the timing was all wrong ( we had just lost our beloved Bailey, our 17 year old dog who was my only sons best friend and constant companion). To make a long story short, Romeo came into our home as if he’d lived here his entire life, jumped right on the couch and into the lap of my then 5 year old son. Their bond is magical just like Theo and Beau. We all needed our hearts healed and Romeo came in and did just that and in return we healed his heart too. My son, Blake and Romeo sleep together every night and it truly warms my heart. Thank you for sharing the journey of Theo and Beau with the world!!!

Patty M. April 17, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Everyday I look forward to your Theo & Beau post. Thank you for sharing their beautiful relationship with us <3

Marleen April 17, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Jess,
Just a thought that crossed my mind as I was reading your post… Maybe Theo’s recent tendency toward chewing is due to teething. He does seem like a super mellow dog, but he might be bothered some with adult teeth still coming in.
Love your posts and photos: my daily dose of joy from afar. Your children are just beautiful, but Theo and Beau’s bond is pure magic!
Greetings from a Californian relocated in Holland.

Anna // Gone Banannas April 17, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I love this so much :) They are the most precious souls!

Betina April 17, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Your photographs and story behind them warms my heart on the daily. Thank you so much for sharing them with the world. God bless you and your precious family.

Keri April 17, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I just love these 2 and your sweet lil’ family!!

Carole Mauloff April 17, 2014 at 9:54 pm

As many before me have said, there is a mystical bond between Theo and Beau and the other members of your family. Of course, it has gone far beyond that and now thousands of folks from all over the worth wait daily for your pictures and posts. Your posts are equally as exquisite as your pictures! What a talent you are!

LovePattz April 17, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Absolutely adore reading your blog and seeing the pictures of Theo & Beau. <3

Rosie Penning April 17, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I love your posts and your pictures, what a fantastic job you do with them. As a fellow dog rescuer and a new mom (6 months!), I LOVE that you are sending the message out to rescue dogs. They are such a wonderful addition to a family. The relationship between Theo and Beau just brings me to tears and I only see the pictures! I cannot imagine how much love and emotion must fill your heart on a daily basis. Love, love LOVE you guys!!

K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy April 18, 2014 at 1:36 am

Theo and Beau are still as adorable as ever! I’m glad that he found that companionship. I’m wondering now how my daughter starting preschool is going to affect her brother because she has been such a companion and his main playmate for these last three years.

Sherrie Chelini April 18, 2014 at 2:28 am

Everything about your website and Instagram has me in awe. I look at each photo many times and always find your descriptions so incredible. The awareness you have brought to rescue dogs is AWESOME and all the great things happening to you and your family is wonderful. You seem to be hard working, a terrific Mom, an insanely great photographer, a beautiful writer and above all else so honest and heartfelt. Thank you and best wishes to you and your adorable family!

Tami D April 18, 2014 at 3:07 am

I have 2 dogs. 2 years apart. Now 14 & 12. The first dog meshed our joined family as we started the next phase of our lives, my getting remarried. Blending the families with a dog truly teaches unconditional love in its purest form and patience. The second dog has the Scooby Doo personality that was sheer joy. I have a passion for photography and the natural expression of people of any age. A little hamming it up is always welcome too. I think your photos are beautiful as is your family. Thank you for sharing and continued success.

Noriko Yamanaka April 18, 2014 at 8:57 am

I’m one of everyone who love looking at Theo and Beau’s photos and smile everyday. They have special beautiful friendship. I loved all photos but especially the one they are in same dog house. Beau is so cute and Theo must felt comfortable. Thank you for sharing your special moment Jessica. I’m looking forward to see photos every day – from sunny Sydney Australia.

Linh April 18, 2014 at 2:51 pm

amazing images to accompany a lovely story.

ChaChaLinn April 21, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Simply put, the pictures are bacon for the soul! Thanks for sharing the joy!

Cathy April 22, 2014 at 3:36 am

Dear Jessica,
Thank you for sharing your life and photos with us. It would take an hard heart not to be inspired to adopt a shelter dog after reading your posts.

Both your writing and images are lovely. Please keep up the great work!

Kat B. April 22, 2014 at 1:34 pm

So touching and perfectly capturing the incredible bond one can have with a four-legged member of the family. And just as the puppy stage has many life lessons for children and adults alike, so does the senior stage … our boys have learned that same patience as we support our dogs at the end of their life, and then the incredible pain of having to decide it’s time to say goodbye. As I look back at photos of favorite family memories so often our dogs are integral to them. I can’t imagine life without them. Thank you for this post.

Morgan April 23, 2014 at 1:19 am

This is a great story! I’ve been following them almost from the beginning. I adopted a dog about 4 years ago and it has changed my life for the better. He’s the sweetest thing in the world and I wouldn’t have it any other way! I love the bond that theo and beau share. It makes my day to see your updates and pictures on Instagram. :)

Susan (5 Minutes for Mom) May 3, 2014 at 3:44 am

While I’d seen some of your amazing Theo and Beau photos a few months ago, I literally just spent the last hour looking through almost EVERY photo in your Instagram feed.

The story of love in these photos is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before.

You are so blessed and you’ve blessed the rest of the world by sharing your photos. Thank you.

Elvira Ter Horst May 7, 2014 at 10:19 am

Puberty can be harsh….even for a Dog! :-)

TJ Solomon May 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm

The amazing bond and story is truly heart warming. We adopted our lab/golden mix at 3 months. He was abandoned in a house when the family moved away with no food or water. Our Bailey had the same tendencies of chewing on things such as Theo due to teething. We gave him carrots to chew on and it seemed to work, he stopped chewing on shoes and the edge of the stairs. Thanks for sharing their wonderful story.

Jan C. May 17, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Jessica, in addition to your heartwarming photos, your writing is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your stories.